Savanna Studio Recipe

Mix, but do not shake:

36 students armed with sketchbooks and camping gear

3 instructors prepared with information and an agenda

5 university vans equipped with walkie-talkies and spare keys

Then add a plethora of interesting historic, cultural and native landscapes over 7000 miles, and you have an adventure to remember!


Monday, September 13, 2010

Day ONE | Road Trip

7:30 AM
         Everyone is ready to load up the vans and begin the month long journey.
8:20 AM
         We've eaten and loaded up all five vans; we're ready to set out. Our driver hits the curb on the first turn; we are off to a good start.
         I am passed out, asleep face down in my pillow within 10 minutes.

Throughout the day we stop and visit a Frank Lloyd Wright house, the Blythe house, and Pilot Knob State Park. It's beautiful outside and makes us perfect targets to the what I guess will be just some of the many mosquitos we will encounter throughout this trip.
         The long car ride gets us familiar with each other, and the walkie-talkies. I'm thankful I'm not driving because I can't comprehend a single word through the static. All I can think about is going back home to Minneapolis and seeing my family and friends again. I sleep the majority of the car ride, and when I'm awake I'm hearing Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, and various 80s hits playing through the speakers. I prefer Metallica to Backstreet Boys, but I was a big fan of them when I was younger, so I won't lie, I enjoyed being brought back to that time for about 3 minutes each song.

6:00 PM
         After getting to the hotel and a close call with losing my bag, I finally get to go home and see my family before I return and work on homework for the remainder of the night.


-Jennifer Stromberg

No comments:

Post a Comment